Sunday, May 5, 2013

marbles



There is something magical about marbles. It is no wonder that kids have developed games around having them. Little jewels with names like Cat's Eyes and Oxbloods. Henry is in cub scouts and they are going for their "marbles" belt loop. Jenny is the den leader, and this particular meeting no one showed. Not, like you might think, because they were working on their "marbles" belt loop, but because Baseball has started, and much of the troop is consumed. So, we reclined in the soft grass in Rutland Center and let the kids play for a while.

Boy Scouts is a good time. Sometimes, and in some circumstances, I think that it is bent toward adults being melancholy toward the "old times." For example, there is a marble belt loop... but I have not seen any video game belt loop, as sacrilegious sounding as that may be. Essentially, they are the same thing though.

I know that this entry isn't exactly about walking with Chauc... but I have decided that this "long term" blog can be about daily experience as well. I am missing writing about my family. So... marbles and cub scouts and so on.

I was a boyscout. I made to "life" and then quit... ironic I know. I honestly wish that I hadn't quit, but my life was such a ball of confusion back then, that it is a wonder that I was functioning at all. In fact, thinking back, I really was barely making through. Still, life scout... one away from Eagle. I do wish that I had toughed it out. I am thinking about becoming a Webelo leader when Henry progresses to that level. I like scouting. There is something so pleasing about making rank and getting belt loops and badges based on what you know. I think that that same appeal applies to the military as well. Work hard and make rank. It is a nice way of doing things. Plus, in scouting, you get to wear your knowledge right there on your belt. It would be very interesting if this were applied to adulthood. We could walk through life and just see those of us that had special skills, or were more skilled than others. What would your belt loops be in? It's fun to think about... maybe I will use that as a writing prompt for my students. What would mine be? Writing? Teaching? Grilling? (I grilled one heck of a leg of lamb yesterday 3 hours of indirect heat!). Could we have badges for personality traits: Patience?  It is fun to think about.
db

No comments:

Post a Comment